April Showers, Girl Scouts of Eastern Missouri’s largest community service program, begins Friday, April 21 when Girl Scouts, their troop leaders, families, and friends help people in need by collecting personal care items throughout the region.
Over the last 25 years, Girl Scouts of Eastern Missouri has collected more than 27 million personal care items. They work with long-time collaborator Operation Food Search (OFS) to sort and distribute the items through OFS’s established network of community partners. With more than 900,000 people a year in Missouri living below the federal poverty line and unable to purchase personal care items with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Girl Scouts of Eastern Missouri and the April Showers program help hundreds of agencies throughout eastern Missouri to support those in need in our communities.
There are three ways the community can participate:
- Door-to-Door Neighborhood Collection/Donation and Showering the Community:
- April 21-23: Girl Scouts will be going door-to-door, distributing sticky notes throughout the community with the request for personal care item donations.
- April 22: Girl Scouts and other volunteers will be at local storefronts encouraging customers to purchase personal care items to donate while they shop.
- April 29: Girls will return to community neighborhoods to collect donations. Donations should be placed in a bag or box outside on front doors before 9 am on Saturday, April 29, with the originally distributed sticky note attached and clearly marked for Girl Scouts.
- Online Registry Donation
- April 21-30: Community members will have the opportunity to donate directly through an online registry. All donations are shipped to Girl Scouts of Eastern Missouri and then distributed out to hundreds of agencies throughout St. Louis City and the 28 surrounding counties.
- Donation Drop Off Stations:
- April 18-30: Dierbergs Markets will have shopping carts marked for April Showers donation collection
- April 21-30: Schnucks will have carts marked for April Showers donation collection.
- April 21-30: Girl Scouts of Eastern Missouri Service Center will have blue barrels located in the back of the building Monday through Friday from 9 am-5 pm.
Girl Scouts of Eastern Missouri is proud to partner with Operation Food Search, Schnucks and Dierbergs Markets on this exciting community program. And, special thanks to April Showers sponsor, St. Luke’s Hospital.
April Showers Donation Items Include:
- Diapers/Baby Care
- Facial Tissue
- Feminine Hygiene Products
- First Aid Supplies
- Toilet Paper
To learn more about Girl Scouts of Eastern Missouri, visit girlscoutsem.org/aprilshowers.