Girl Scouts of Eastern Missouri works with Normandy Middle School to offer girls a STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) enrichment program. Girls in the program meet several times each month for non-formal classroom STEM immersion, cultural enrichment activities and community service.
STEM activities focused on hands-on, engaging and fun discovery and exploration, including field trips. Cultural enrichment activities included life skill development and support, such as self-esteem, healthy friendships, and yoga and relaxation techniques.
This program provides girls with the support they need, gives them direction, reduces stereotypes about career paths and helps build the skills they need for the future.
Project Objectives for girls:
- Demonstrate their ability to perform a particular STEM-related skill or activity (e.g. microscopy)
- Designate a career choice in this field
- Influence girls to attend college and consider STEM studies
- Increase girls’ self-confidence
- Improve in behavior at school
- Increase girls’ knowledge of how STEM fits into many different careers
- Increase girls’ grades in science and mathematics
- Increase girls’ interest in science, math, engineering and technology careers
Funding for the 2012-2013 program generously provided by Express Scripts Foundation.