Courses essential to the success of a Troop
Find out what you need to know to work with a troop.
Leader Prep courses:
- Are required for all new leaders and assistant leaders
- Introduce you to the basics of Girl Scouting – the Mission, Promise and Law
- Tell you who to contact for support
- Show you how Girl Scouting encourages girls to Discover themselves, Connect to others, and Take Action to make the world a better place
- Give you the basics of how to manage a troop
- Guide you in creating a safe environment for girls
- Help you plan meetings
Courses in the Leader Prep Series:
- Girl Scouting 101
NOTE: Choose “Eastern Missouri” for Council Name
- Introduction to Girl Scouting, offered online and through face-to-face courses listed in
Lead & Learn
- Journey Immersion Workshop offered through courses listed in Lead & Learn. We are working hard to make the Virtual Journey Immersion course the best possible course for you. At this time, we do not have an estimated date when this course will be available online. Please look in Lead & Learn for face-to-face courses. If you are unable to attend courses scheduled in Lead & Learn, contact your District Manager or Neighborhood Adult Development/Education Manager for off-calendar learning opportunities.
Earn a Gift Certificate by Complete the Leader Prep Series:
Volunteers appointed as a leader or assistant leader after January 1, 2014 can receive a gift certificate for 50 percent off the cost of a Journey facilitator set (an Adult How-To Guide and Girl Book). To receive the gift certificate, volunteers must complete the Leader Prep series within three months of being appointed a leader or assistant leader. Record completion of courses on a Leader Prep Series Tracking Card and bring it, with supporting documentation, to the Girl Scout Shop. Leader Prep Tracking Cards are included in New Leader Packets and can be obtained from Neighborhood Managers and Neighborhood Adult Development/Education Managers. The gift certificate can only be applied toward the facilitator sets, not to any other CS Shop merchandise.
Leaders and assistant leaders who were appointed prior to January 1, 2014 and who have the yellow Leader Prep Series Tracking Card
Leaders and assistant leaders appointed prior to January 1, 2014, who completed the Leader Prep Series within three months of being appointed, can still submit their completed yellow tracking card, with supporting documentation. They will receive a $5 gift certificate to use at the Girl Scout Shop and a free patch for each of the Leader Prep courses.
Volunteers who have already received a $5 GS Shop gift certificate can continue to redeem their certificate for up to one year from the date of their Introduction to Girl Scouting course.
Leader Prep Tote Discontinued
Due to the change in the Leader Prep Series incentive program, Leader Prep Totes will no longer be available in the GS Shop. Leaders who have completed a yellow Leader Prep Series Tracking Card can apply their $5 gift certificate to GS Shop merchandise and will continue to receive a free patch for each of the courses in the leader prep series.
Additional courses which prepare leaders to work with a troop
Check the Lead & Learn for additional helpful courses. Insignia and awards courses introduce leaders to awards girls can earn through Girl Scouting. Workshops are offered during every training season that provide additional helpful information, such as ideas for troop activities and trips and how to work with parents.